Starting school for the first time or transferring from another school, is a time of excitement for all involved. At Mernda Primary School we endeavour to ensure that transitioning into a new environment is a smooth and enjoyable process.
2024 Prep Enrolments
New Prep Enrolment for 2024?
You may want to check out our Taste of School Tour
The Department of Education (DET) has released a new state-wide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government primary school, including Mernda Primary School.
The new timeline will apply for children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024. All government primary schools will follow the new timeline in 2023 to support Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2024 school year.
You can find information and resources about the new timeline, including factsheets, at: Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) – https://www.vic.gov.au/enrolling-foundation-prep
You can also download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers for the 2024 school year’ from the Starting School webpage (available from 24th April 2023).
You will be able to submit an application form to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2024 at Mernda Primary School from 24th April 2023.
What you need to do:
- Book a tour
- Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) (available from 24 April 2023) https://www.vic.gov.au/enrolling-foundation-prep
- Submit an application form to enrol for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28th July 2023
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11th August, 2023. If you receive an offer of placement, you should contact our school to accept the offer by Friday 25th August 2023 and complete an online enrolment form.
- Take part in our school’s transition program during Term 4, 2023
- Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Wednesday 31st January 2024.
Enrolment applications submitted after 28th July 2023 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.
All other Enrolments
To enrol your child in primary school you will need to fill out an enrolment form and provide the school with important information about your child, including:
- evidence of your child’s date of birth – a copy of birth certificate (if born overseas, you may also provide a copy of the passport)
- your contact, phone and address details, and that of any other parent, guardian and/or carer
- names and contact details of emergency contacts
- Medical details/conditions relating to the student, including doctor’s and dentist’s names and phone numbers (such as Asthma, Anaphylaxis and Allergy Action Plans)
- Immunisation Status Certificate
- health and welfare information
- information about the language/s your child speaks and hears at home
- Previous school and year (if applicable)
By law, a child must have an immunisation status certificate to enrol in primary school.
Full immunisation needs to be completed before commencement of the Prep year and immunisation certificates need to be handed in with your child’s enrolment form. Immunisation certificates can be obtained from the Australian Immunisation Register, a doctor, a medicare office or a local council. The phone number to ring is 1800 653 809.
To be eligible for school enrolment, children must turn 5 by the 30th April
Before enrolling your child, we encourage all prospective parents to come for a school tour. For further information about our school tours and to make a booking please phone the office on (03) 9717 7900.